Thursday, August 12, 2010

Shot to Hell

It’s my memory…or more accurately, my lack of it. It’s failing me at an alarming rate and I seem powerless to prevent it.

I’ve been telling myself it’s simply due to a complicated and somewhat distracting block of life…but I don’t think that’s it.

‘Cause I’m forgetting some important shit. Like what day of the month my rent is due. I was convinced it was due on the 12th of the month….because I moved in on the 12th. Only, it wasn’t the 12th…it was the 10th. How lame an excuse is that gonna be? “I’m sorry your rent is late…I could swear it was due on the 12th. Really.”

The other day, my phone started ringing and the caller ID number was very familiar…but I could not remember who it was. I stared helplessly through several rings before it hit me: It was my sister. She’s had the same freakin’ number since 2000. WTF?

Is there a pill for this? Should I be doing more crossword puzzles to ward off this latest in what I’m sure will be a long, painful string of future insanites? Or do I roll with it, chalk it up to senility and practice my blank stare?

Do I know you?

That’s not my car.

I haven’t had dessert yet.

What do you mean I don’t work here??

I never said that. I don’t remember saying that. Can you prove I said that?

Yeah…this could get ugly.

2 comments:

  1. I think it must be the air...or a government conspiracy because I have the same symptoms. OK my symptoms are generally self induced. Dunno who wrote this one. I'm gonna have to study it and decide. Hey should someone make a profile for us? What if a stranger wanders in?

    ReplyDelete